We’ve seen a dramatic shift over the past year or two to the way that we work. The COVID-19 pandemic forced industries of all kinds to allow their workers to work from home instead of coming into the office, accelerating a trend that was already heading in that direction anyway.
The future of work is undoubtedly going to be much more flexible, and this will change a number of our habits and lifestyle choices going forward.
Renters are demanding a new set of amenities and characteristics that will suit a work-from-home lifestyle, and if you’re looking to meet this demand, you’re going to have to make some changes. Here are some of the key amenities that should be a part of any home or apartment going forward:
High-Speed Internet Connection
When working from home, your internet speed is potentially the most important component of your setup, so it becomes a necessary amenity that tenants must be able to provide.
- The faster the connection, the greater your competitive advantage.
Home Office Amenities
Gone are the days when we can get away with a desk stashed in the corner of a bedroom. You must craft an office separate from your personal life that offers enough space to be productive and sane for sustainable remote working.
- The rentals of the future must consider turning an extra bedroom into a well-designed office space if they are to compete.
- Natural Light. Working from home can be quite isolating and claustrophobic at times, and so the more natural light you can get into these areas the better. It’s proven to be important for morale and productivity, so it’s something to focus on for new rental units.
- Outdoor Space. Another key amenity that makes a big difference is having a decent outdoor space where the tenant can get some fresh air during the day when they need to get away from their desk. This could be a garden space or a balcony – as long as it provides a decent break from sitting at a desk all day.
- Sound Isolation. Depending on the style of work, it’s a huge bonus if the office area can remain as quiet as possible to enable Zoom calls and other collaboration to occur without disruption. This is especially the case when a tenant is living with other people and needs to maintain professionalism in those circumstances.
- Value-Adding Services. Any amenity that makes the tenant’s life a bit easier is going to be a big plus for the rental units of today. Whether that’s a concierge desk at the front of the complex, a laundry service, dry-cleaning, or a range of other things – all of these will make life more convenient and more attractive for tenants. These amenities aim to replace the benefits of working in a large office block which would often offer some of these same services.
Those are just a few of the key amenities and benefits that will really stand out for the future world of work. This is a trend that is not going to turn around soon and the better you can adapt to the new normal, the more successful your property is going to be.
Don’t fall behind, or you’ll find yourself losing out to units that embrace this inevitable future.